Monday, April 17, 2006

 

1963 BFM Study-What should I watch out for?

Dear Friends,

I plan to begin teaching our church from our doctrinal statement, which is the 1963 Baptist Faith and Message. This will be my first time to teach it, except for a few short sections on certain topics, and actually my first time to STUDY it as well.

Are there any statements in the BFM that you consider weak biblically? I would like to get your ideas as a "heads up" for items that need the most study.

Love in Christ,

Jeff

Comments:
Jeff,

I think any legitimate study of that document must spend time dealing with the last sentence on the scriptures:

"The criterion by which the Bible is to be interpreted is Jesus Christ."

No doubt much blood has been spilled over that one.
 
Jeff,

Happened across this article today and thought it might be helpful in this endeavor.

Have a good one...
 
Wow. I would suggest reading that article with a good critical mind. There are some terrible flaws in it, I believe.

But Jamie is right. That statement was a big sticking point in the 2000 revision.

Other questions I would have relate to the ordinances. Specifically, are they strictly ordinances of the local church and if so what does that mean? I'm not saying I disagree with those statements, but that it seems to me that there are a number of implications that flow from them.

BTW, we're getting ready to do a similar study on Wednesday nights but I will be using the various statements from the Philadelphia, New Hampshire and various BF&M confessions. God bless in your study.
 
Jeff,

I would say the statement in the baptism section about believer's baptism by immersion being a requirement for admission to the Lord's Supper. I don't know where you will find justification for that in Scripture.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]