Monday, April 17, 2006

 

New Jim Richards Fan Club (SBTC/Calvinism Issue)


Dear Friends,

I am hereby declaring myself the founding President of the Jim Richards Fan Club.

I’m not used to hobnobbing with the convention big wigs, but tonight I had a wonderful call at home from Dr. Jim Richards, who is the Executive Director of the Southern Baptists of Texas Convention. He had received my e-mail about the anti-Calvinism letter sent out by Dr. Don Cass, Director of Evangelism for the SBTC and called to respond. He very humbly and courteously apologized for what Dr. Cass had done, and promised that there will be no more such offenses to Texas Baptist Calvinists.

Having written rather an angry and somewhat accusatory letter to Dr. Cass, I took Dr. Richards’ soft-spoken kindness to me on the phone as a silent rebuke for my lack of Christian kindness in my letter. I will be e-mailing an apology for the tone (not the content) of the nasty-gram that I sent to Dr. Cass. In addition, I issue this apology on this blog:

Dr. Don Cass, I am sorry that I wrote an unkind response to your letter in the e-mail that I sent and on this blog. Please forgive me for not taking up this matter with you more privately and gently.

Thank you, Dr. Richards, for handling this situation so lovingly. Your good example is speaking loudly and clearly in favor of the cause of Christ and the work of the SBTC.

Love in Christ,

Jeff

Comments:
The signs of sterling character in Jim Richards and in yourself.
 
I appreciate your transparency. I have to say, though, the energy that is being expended by our brothers to discount and misrepresent what calvinists beleive is sickening. How many heresies and distortions of doctrine should we be concerned about in our churches? Calvinism does not qualify. I think some of our non-calvinist baptist leaders should reevaluate who thier friends are... Maybe they're just upset with our rejection of "Wal-Mart Christianity" that has invaded our churches and held us captive to a consumeristic approach to evangelism.
 
Dear Brother Art,

Thanks. I'm not ready to put myself in the same category with him yet. Maybe in a few years, when God has had more time to work on me.

Dear Brother Travis,

Yes, the fact that so much time, money, and energy of the SBTC evangelism department was devoted not to evangelism, but to anti-Calvinism is distressing.

"Wal-mart Christianity"---that's a great term. I understand what I would mean by it. What do you mean by it, just so I'm sure I understand?

Love in Christ,

Jeff
 
What I mean is the expectation on the part of many Christians to go to a church that provides them with particular goods and services. If the music isn't like the church on I saw on T.V. or the last church I attended, if the children's programs aren't what I expect, or any other given set of variables, I'm not interested. It could be the expectation of a particular program- Purpose Driven Life, or something else.

It's not about how I can serve in this church or the vision God has given to this particular fellowship, or noticing whether the Pastor is effectively preaching from the Word of God, its secondary variables that are being emphasized.

Words like "relevant" are thrown around applied to everything. I don't say this because I'm one of those who likes to find an excuse the criticize contemporary worship styles. I'm not refering to that necessarily. It's just the overall drive that I see in some "growing" churches that is far from being Gospel centered.
 
I missed the main issue which was evangelism. We depend too heavily on witness training approaches that treat non-beleivers like robots or "units". Even though some of the approaches I have used in the past claim that the Holy Spirit should guide you, the approach does not acctually work that way. The confidence is found in sticking to the script and "closing the deal." I'm all for training people to share the Gospel, but I'm afraid our emphasis has been to many times on selling a product rather than "making disciples".
 
Dear Brother Travis,

Your Wal-Mart Christianity thing is great, well worth a Lifway book! Will you sign a copy for me?

Love in Christ,

Jeff
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]