Thursday, April 13, 2006

 

SBTC Evangelism Director Opposes Calvinism-UPDATED

UPDATED
Dear Friends,

Dr. Don Cass, Director of Evangelism for the SBTC, has sent every SBTC pastor an envelope of materials including one sermon transcript and two sermon recordings on CD. In the cover let, he states that these materials address “critical issues of our day that directly effect evangelism in the local church.”

One of the issues is Universalism. Certainly Baptist leaders agree that this is indeed a threat to the evangelistic zeal of our church members. One of the CD sermons argues against Universalism.

The other issue is Calvinism. Certainly Baptist leaders DO NOT agree that this is a threat to the evangelistic zeal of our church members. The sermon manuscript is from Dr. Roy Fish, and opposes Calvinism on the grounds that historically it has inhibited the spirit of evangelism and missions. The sermon CD is from Dr. Paige Patterson, and argues against the Calvinistic view of predestination.

Since Calvinism, properly understood and applied, is most definitely not a threat to evangelism, but instead is a powerful propellant for it, I have written to Dr. Cass for clarification.
---UPDATE---
Earlier I had posted my e-mail to Dr. Cass in this space. An anonymous blogger who reads this blog pointed my attention to the fact that I should not have done so until I get a reply from him. The questions I asked Dr. Cass in my e-mail came across like accusations rather than questions. So I've taken her advice and removed the e-mail letter, and will wait for Dr. Cass to respond.
I am sorry to any who were weakened rather than edified by what I posted. I apologize to Dr. Cass for not letting him respond to my correspondence before making it public.
---------------
Love in Christ,
Jeff

Comments:
This is the problem of tightening circles within the conservative group. who gets to do the tightening and who gets left out?

Interesting to note, though, that Landmarkism [IMB BOT tightened circles] are historically Calvinistic in many areas.

It seems these two might be juxtaposed.
 
JRY,

How was Dr. P's sermon against predestination? While I was at Southeastern he preached a message on that doctrine that I found to be a fair treatment of the tension that exists between predestination and free will. In the end he concluded both concepts are biblical, everyone is entitled to their own belief based on their convictions of scripture, and everyone is accountable to share the Gospel.

WHile I would not consider myself to be in the Calvinist camp, I can gladly labor with them provided we are both working towards fulfilling the GC. The problem we should be addressing is not Calvinist who refuse to make evangelism a priority. Rather it is everyday church people -many of whom think predestination is a bad word- that don't share their faith. Apathy - not theological convictions - are a greater blight on the church.
 
JRY,

Just noticed....8 kids!!!! We have 5 ourselves. Psalm 127 is so very true isn't it????

Do you get as many strange looks and offending comments as we do?
 
Pastor Young,

I have been reading your posts in blog world for the past fews weeks and have appreciated your fair-mindedness and caution to not jump to conclusions about people without proper evidence. That is why I am a little disappointed with your direct question to Dr. Cass asking if "Dr. Patterson put him up to" sending out the sermons. By publishing such a question you (1) Accuse Dr. Cass of being a pawn, insinuating he would bend to the desires of a man, not God, and (2) Insinuate that Dr. Patterson is using people to push an agenda. Don't you think people will read this and just jump to conclusions; I am sure you have noticed that people are quick to jump to conclusions and think the worst of people here in blog world, especially if that person is someone whom we disagree with theologically.

I am a little cautious even to post this just because I do have respect for you. I just am disappointed. Why would you post a personal letter with accusations before you have any answers?

Your sister in Christ.
 
Brother Jeff,

Wow! you better dig deeper into the fox hole. It looks like you are about to take mortar fire very soon.

Have a great day Sunday for Christ has risen!!!!

Villa Rica
 
Dear Anonymous,

Thank you for reading this blog, and for correcting me so sweetly. I believe I acted in haste and anger. I've updated the article to reflect what you suggested. Perhaps by apologizing and undo-ing my error ASAP I can keep your respect, which I value highly.

Dear Brother Jamie,

I am thankful for our dear ones and yours. We live out in the country in an area where large farm families were common really only one generation ago, so we get more favorable comments than criticism.

I agree that apathy is a greater threat to evangelism than any "ism."

Dear Brother Art,

Is the neo-Landmarkism we are seeing in the IMB BOT anti-Calvinistic? Interesting morph in the last 100 years.

Dear Brother V.R.,

I was getting very excited practicing for the Easter sermon today. God is working to get rid of my pride and my desire to be impressive in order to speak the message of Jesus' death and resurrection this Sunday. Do you get to preach this Sunday?

Love in Christ,

Jeff
 
Brother Jeff,

If I live until Sunday without any strange thing happening I will preach. If I do not live till that time I shall watch and listen to all of you as you ring out the story of the risen Lord.

Villa Rica
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]