Thursday, May 18, 2006

 

The Gospel---Long and Strong

Dear Friends,

A few months ago a church member’s mother passed away, and I found myself attending a Lutheran funeral. I didn’t know what to expect, but when the elderly minister appeared on the platform in his robe and collar, I thought the service would probably consist of a few platitudes read from a liturgy, and maybe reference to one of the more pleasant Psalms.

Boy, was I wrong!

After sharing a very few kind words with the family, this Lutheran minister began to share the Gospel of Jesus Christ in all its glory. His sermon was long, about 45 minutes. It was strong, quoting the scriptures about sin and God’s wrath as well as those about God’s mercy and Christ’s sacrifice. It was very precise, with theological points stated accurately and biblical texts quoted appropriately and in context. He made no apologies; he did not hurry; he did not water it down; he made it very personal for the listeners. He preached the whole Gospel that day to a crowd of unbelievers. They fidgeted in their seats, they looked at their watches, they cleared their throats, but he kept preaching. He preached the Gospel.

A few weeks later, I heard that this same Lutheran minister had passed away. I wish I could have been in Paradise to hear what the Savior said to him. I’m sure it went something like this, “Well done, good and faithful servant.”

I have preached one funeral since then, and you can guess what they heard from me that day. It’s the same thing any crowd of believers at a baccalaureate, and funeral, or any other gathering of unbelievers will always hear from now on if they call on me to preach. It’s the same thing I hope they will hear from each of you.

The Gospel---long and strong!

Love in Christ,

Jeff

P.S. My thanks to Kevin Lancaster. He relates an experience of his that put me in mind of this incident.

Comments:
Nice Story Jeff.
 
Preaching a strong evangelistic message at funerals would seem one of the best places to do so. People are thinking about death: the one who has passed away, and their own someday. Emotions are sensitive and people's ears are more open to "hearing" then than at other times. What that elderly Lutheran minister did was what we all should do at such occasions.

Here in Ecuador, strong evangelistic messages are always shared at Christian funerals. There will inevitably be many not-yet-believers present, and is a prime opportunity to share the Gospel. Most believers wouldn't have it any other way.

So...keep that e-preaching prominent at every public occasion possible. Who knows how much time is left before our Lord's return.

Have a good trip to New Mexico with Wes and tell Jerry Rankin hello from us if you see him!
 
To not share the Gospel in a very deliberate, personal, and compassionate way at weddings and funerals would be one of the worst things a pastor could do. Thanks for sharing, JRY.
 
Thanks.
 
Thanks, Jeff. I, too, was surprised when I ran across Lutheran theology a couple of years ago. I don't agree with all of it, but on the gospel, I was really blessed. They talk about the objective truth of the work of Christ OUTSIDE of you. In other words, we are to never look within ourselves for the evidence of Christ's work as the basis of our faith, but rather, we are to look outside of ourselves to Christ. Christ is to always be our focus, not what we find within. Awesome.

I would have loved to have heard that message. The older I get, the more the gospel, in all it's glory, is what I crave. I cannot go beyond it, I cannot go deeper. It continues to be good news and the glory of God shown in the face of Jesus Christ. I'm ready to preach just thinking about it!
 
Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]